The only problem was, these posts were labeled as “Uncategorized“, but weren’t linked to that category.
After looking up, down, and backwards, and all over the ‘net for a simple solution (or even a way to directly edit the database) I resorted to correcting the category issue manually.
Pain. In. The. Arse.
2. Under Manage – Posts, I filtered all of the un-linked ‘Uncategorized’ posts by the default tag I’d selected when importing them into WordPress (in my case the tag was “LiveJournal Archive”). You can also filter your posts using any applicable criteria (such as posts without tags if your recently imported data has no tags)
3. After filtering, I used the Better Tags Manager to add the TAG ‘Uncategorized’ to all the posts with the ‘Uncategorized’ category.
4. Next I went to Manage – Categories, selected the ‘category to tag converter’ (located under the category list table). Because I don’t want to convert categories to tags, I selected ‘tags to categories’ on the following page.
5. Selecting the ‘Uncategorized’ TAG, I converted the tag back into the LINKED category ‘Uncategorized’.
If you look under the Manage – Categories tab, you’ll now see that the ‘Uncategorized’ category has been created and all of your previously un-linked ‘Uncategorized’ category posts are linked together into the ‘Uncategorized’ category.
Some of you might be happy with that (just having the category linked together) but I needed to go one step further.
6. I used the Batch Categories plugin to filter the ‘Uncategorized’ posts, and then update them in batches to add the posts into the correct categories.
I haven’t yet, but I plan to delete the ‘Uncategorized’ category from my blog and be completely, 100% rid of the whole mess. After all, what was WordPress thinking using the ‘Uncategorized’ non-category, anyway? Grrr.
Yes, it seems like a really backwards way to do it, doesn’t it? And others have resorted to even more tedious ways of updating… But, it’s finished. And I’m done with this annoying little tedious task.
© 2008 – 2013, Krissi Bates (iKrissi). All rights reserved.